Saturday, January 29, 2011

UST at 400 : Feels Good to be Home!

The happiest and most meaningful years of my life were my years spent at UST.  My dreams were built and realized in this hallowed ground in Espana Ave.  Who I am and what I am today I owe a lot to my parents, and to my education at the Royal, Pontifical, and Catholic University of Santo Tomas.  And as a fitting tribute and gratitude to my Alma Mater, I “went home” last night as its celebrated its 400th year.  Memories were re-lived and old acquaintances were encountered.  I used “went home” since for 9 years UST had been my second home and I had no regrets being a part of UST, with all its rich history, tradition and track record of excellence.
Arch of the Centuries: The Gateway to the Greatest Breed of Individuals
Unending Grace
 I was never elated for a long time until I set foot once again at the UST Campus last night.  It was really like coming home more than visiting a loved one.  And as I walked through the fields, grounds, sheds and hallways of my Alma Mater, I can’t help but remember how I used to exist in this vast space along Espana Ave.  I traced back old routines, visited the places I used to spend my breaks on,  and met people who had been part of my years at UST.  From my former mentors, to previous casual acquaintances, to my old classmates, and to my former colleagues at the UST Hospital.   It was also a delight to see Thomasians from all walks of life and from different generations gather to celebrate this special period in UST’s and every Thomasian’s history.  I also appreciate the new developments this campus had undergone. The traffic I encountered  and all the anxiety of going there was really worth it.   Not everyone gets to experience a Quadricentennial in their lifetime. And I was fortunate that I am still alive when UST celebrated it.
Thomasian Physician
I will forever be in gratitude to this institution.  I would not have been a physician today if not for the educational grant I received from no less than the premiere medical school in the country, the UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery.  During those times, just as when I thought the dreams I built was in danger of being shattered for good, the kind hearts of UST and Thomasian alumni gave me hope.  And through hardwork and determination, I was able to become the Thomasian physician I dreamed to be.  For that, I vowed to myself to give back to my Alma Mater someday, to the best of my capabilities.   That promise is one of my motivations to get through my present endeavour.
In Beauty, and Truth, and Virtues
UST has taught me to appreciate the BEAUTY of every endeavour of the soul.  It had shown to me the TRUTH behind the different sciences which I got involved in.  And most especially, it had instilled in me the VIRTUES of a truly holistic and Christian education.  Its UNENDING GRACE drives every Thomasian to achieve and to excel, and to accept defeat with honor.   I really hope other Thomasian alumni,  new Thomasians, and even transferee Thomasians, would be as proud as I am of our beloved UST.  There’s nothing not to be proud of.  Our rich history and tradition, our excellence in the different professional fields, our distinguished alumni, our most beautiful campus, and yes even our dominance in the UAAP are enough reasons for us to be proud of being a Thomasian.  UST has done, is doing and will be doing its part, but it’s also our responsibility to make UST proud of us.

UST @ 400



VIVA SANTO TOMAS!
GO USTE!   GO USTE!  GO USTE!  GO GO GO GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment