Thursday, December 30, 2010

Events: What Events I Look Forward to in 2011


It is quite a common practice for TV stations everywhere in the world to show yearend reports during the last week of December for the purpose of reminding the people of what happened the past year, whether boon or bane. And while I agree that looking back at the past and the lessons learned from such experiences will help you in making decisions which could dictate your future, I prefer to look more forward than backward for this coming year, for the simple reason that 2010 was not so much kind to me.

2010 was a tough year for me and my family. From my resignation from an institution which I loved so much, to an unexpected prolonged hiatus from medical practice, and most especially, the demise of my father. I accept what had happened because it was God's way of bringing my feet back to the ground, and I appreciate the lessons learned throughout that rough journey. But I must move on and I like to be happy again. So instead of dwelling more on the past, I prefer looking forward to events which should bring the smile back again on my face, the things which I really appreciate.

5. NBA and NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs 2k11
All those Lebron haters should start shutting their mouths or better yet shove them into their asses. The King, Bosh and D-Wade are starting to play good music together and there's no stopping the Miami Heat. So what if those Celtics beat the Heat twice already. The playoffs is a different picture and LBJ would make those blabbermouths eat their words. The only reason why those Celtics, Knicks, Spurs and even Lakers fans hate LBJ and Co., is because they know what The King and his men can do come playoff time, and yet they deny it at the same time. C'mon try booing and cursing LeBron again so that he can throw away 30 markers or triple-doubles on your team again! This summer, the Heat will be On.
The HEAT is ON
And over at the ice, perennial contenders Detroit Red Wings should redeem their place at the top of the Hockeyworld. Alex Ovechkin's Capitals and Sidney Crosby's Penguins should make way for the big Red Machine as Nick Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg will try to win back the Stanley Cup they lost two years ago.
REDemption
4. UAAP Season 74
It has become a yearly ritual for the Growling Tigers to hoist the General Championship trophy during the opening ceremonies of the UAAP. UST is the tower of power when it comes to collegiate sports. But admit it or not, Thomasians are also drooling over that basketball championship which was hard to come by the past few years. I just can't understand why UST is losing on the recruitment wars, especially now that the school in Legarda with Rabies is hellbent on luring our homegrown talents with the cash vouchers of their tycoon benefactors. They call it recruitment, but I call it PIRACY. I expect a better finish than last years "overachieving?!" record of 4-10 since most of the rookies and sophomores should have gained that experience and should have developed added skills by the off-season. Honestly, I think Pido Jarencio should be sacked. The Growling Tigers basketball has no established system of play at all, aside from those futile three-point shooting plays. They should start winning basketball games so that those loudmouths from Katipunan, Taft, and Morayta stop mocking and bashing our beloved university despite of our success in other UAAP sports like Volleyball, Taekwondo, etc.
Win "the One" for UST

I also hope the Salinggawi Dance Troupe and the Yellow Jackets bring back the crown to where it rightfully belongs in Espana Blvd. And of course, that 13th straight General Championship at season's end is also expected. Go USTe! Go USTe! Go USTEe! Go Go Go Go!

Bring Back the Crown to Espana!


3. Neurology Residency Training at the City
Like what I've said in a previous post, I have been given a second chance by God to become what I want myself to be. And this time, there is no turning back. This is it. Sure it is work and it could be tougher than what I thought it should be. But with the help of God, my family and my co-workers, I think I'll be in for a fun learning experience. Got to get rid of that pride, got to tame that strict superego, will not make any promises or great expectations and just enjoy the most of what the training can offer.
NEU Life at the City
2. Marikina Semana Santa 2011

En el Calvario
 While most people prefer to go out-of-town on Holy week leaving Metro Manila as a deserted place, Santo enthusiasts like me from Marikina, would not go anywhere but home. Marikina City despite its recent developments, has not lost any of its traditions, especially those associated with religious occasions. We boast of having one of the most colorful yet solemn, constantly-enriched and well-preserved Holy week traditions which you coud not see anywhere else in the Metropolis.
 

Virgen delas Angustias


For starters we have the different Senakulo or Passion plays, the Pabasa in different localities and the Penitensyas where real flagellation and beating happen. It's nice to note that the younger generations have carried on these traditions. The highlight of the Holy Week celebrations here in Marikina City are our processions. I used the term "processions" because we have a lot of them. You can even stand in one strategic area and without moving places, be able to witness three different long processions from three different parishes. The images are life-sized, well-vested and their carrozas well-arranged. Actually, Marikina City has been considered both by local and foreign media to be one of the must-see places during Holy Week because of these processions.
Paglilinis at Paghahanda sa Katawan ni Hesus 
For the past three years, I had taken a vow to engage in these processions. Aside from my vow of diligently taking pictures of each and every santo in the line-up of two different long processions for three procession nights, I also took responsibility in vesting a tableau and a male apostle owned by my cousins in our Parish's own procession during Holy Wednesday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. These are vows which I do not intend to break for whatever reason. It's my way of giving thanks for God's blessings. And I also plan to own a processional image, a tableau, of my own within the next 4 years.
My "alaga", San Simon Makabayan (the Zealot)
What started out as a mere fascination became a regard for tradition, which eventually evolved into a true devotion. And for these reasons, I have always looked forward to Semana Santa in Marikina every year. For me, it's more important than Christmas.

1. UST Quadricentennial: 400 Years of Unending Grace
2011 is the Year of the Thomasian. I have spent 10 years of my life at the Royal and Pontifical and Catholic University of Santo Tomas. And those 10 years were the happiest and most meaningful, most colorful years of my life. I am proud to be an alumnus of UST, for its rich history, tradition and record of excellence. A great deal of what I am today is because of my stay at my beloved Alma Mater. Alumni of other universities can say what they want and claim what they want to claim. But for me, UST is still one of the best universities and Thomasians are still the greatest breed of graduates in the country. Its excellent record in various fields of expertise is just a testament of how great UST eventhough at times it is overlooked and underrated by others.
Home of the Greatest Breed of Individuals
It should be both an honor and pleasure to witness this quadricentennial celebration in my lifetime. There are a lot of events lined-up for the Quadricentennial celebrations, and I'm looking forward to participating in one of them. "Keep us in beauty and truth and virtues, impassioned embrace. Ever your valiant legions Imbued with UNENDING GRACE."
UST at 400: Unending Grace
 

No comments:

Post a Comment